03 October 2012

New York City, Day 1

-->
Ventured out of friend’s apartment about  9:00pm. Went to Strictly Vegetarian, a Jamaican vegan take-out place in Flatbush, Brooklyn.

Got a big to-go container of: rice and peas (AKA lentils), black eyed peas, green beans, mixed veggies (carrots, broccoli, etc) and collard greens. Plus a Jamaican patty. It was all SO good.  I tried to cook collard greens for the first time last week, and they didn’t taste that great. I don’t know what the secret is, but I need to find out!

I still have some of the container left over, it was a huge portion for $7. I think it’s normally $9, but we got there right before they closed. I would eat that for breakfast, but I think our host is making something right now…

I didn’t take a photo because it was a mess by the time we took the subway to the fancier part of Brooklyn to eat it.

We forgot to buy drinks, so we stopped at a – YES – Five Guys Burgers to get some. So the joke of the evening was “three vegans walk into a burger joint…”

We sat on the stoop of a church to eat, then we oogled  all the expensive brownstone houses/apartments. (Not the church in the picture, it wasn't as fancy!) It was very New York. I think. What do I know… I live in Florida. Either way, it was a good time.

1 comment:

  1. We cook our collard greens with a little Earth Balance and a chopped shallot. The shallot really balances out the greens. Sounds like you're having a blast in NYC!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails